Monday, August 19, 2013

Start Where You Are

A very long time ago, in what seems like another lifetime, I decided to start a clothing company.  Aptly named after my firstborn daughter, Katherine's of Kingston, was supposed to be a custom collection of simple, whimsical, colorful dresses for toddlers and little girls designed and manufactured by me and a handful of University of Rhode Island textile majors.  Slam dunk, right?  Could of, should of, been.  What derailed my business plan was my inability to start.  More specifically, my inability to start where I was.  Married to a custom home builder at the time, I convinced him that I needed a bonafide sewing room, and he was only too happy to oblige.  Needs were assessed.  Measurements were taken. Blueprints drawn up.  Trim was fabricated.  Colors were selected.  By the time dozens of cones of serger sewing machine threads were systematically color-coded and arranged in a custom built-in cabinet, I had already moved on to painting floorcloths, and the bolts of fabric I had stockpiled grew dusty and faded.  Distractions diverted me from my primary purpose.  Today, I know better.  Whether it's taking up a running practice, or yoga, or photography, I can just show up as is.  I don't need fancy shoes, mats, the newest equipment.  All I truly need is an open heart and the willingness to be a beginner every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment