Thursday, March 31, 2022

Leave Home



"Distance and difference are the secret tonic of creativity. When we get home, home is still the same. But something in our mind has been changed, and that changes everything." 
~Jonah Lehrer

I've left home. Twice. Once in 2014 for a month-long solo cross country trip to sell my Earth's School of Love inspirational greeting cards. Again in 2015 for a two-month solo cross country book tour to promote my book, Linger Longer: Lessons from a Contemplative Life

Of course, I brought myself home both times, and when I did, I looked the same, I talked and laughed the same, but if you looked into my eyes, you could not find the old me. What you saw instead was every cloud, star, wave, sun and moonbeam that held me tenderly. They filled me. They caused my heart to swell. My capacity for love expanded in ways I never knew possible or available. My ego took a backseat, and humility was forged, pure and simple, as I relied on the kindnesses of strangers to answer questions, maintain my vehicle, welcome me into their Airbnb homes, buy my work, and share history lessons I never would have gotten in a book.

I beckon you to leave home. You have enough money; I did it on a shoestring. You are capable of traveling without a partner; I did it on my own. You have time; maybe you can't get away for a month, so take yourself away for an overnight, a long weekend. Drive. Take the train. A bus. Fly. Pack light. 

I promise you that the woman that returns will be bolder, brighter and more at home in the world.

Now, go!


No comments:

Post a Comment