Friday, March 11, 2022

What's a muse to do?


Just as most of us in the United States are hungry to leave our pandemic lives behind, we find ourselves smack dab in the middle of a deepening worldwide crisis. And with that crisis abroad, we here at home are witnessing historically high prices at the pumps, grocery stores and in the housing market. 

What's a footloose muse to do?

I can't curl up in a ball and refuse to participate in life. I must take care to carry on, to not succumb to despair. To do that I must give my creative life all the opportunities it needs to thrive. I must pick up the creative tools I have available to write, paint, sing, dance, cook, and photograph my way out of the dismay, fear and confusion.

I have a voice; you have one, too. I have God-given talents, and you do as well. Now is the time to use our gifts to brighten, lighten, inform, enliven, to soften the rough and hard edges the world is up against. Take an artist date. Take an hour or two and visit a museum, an art supply store, a gallery. Go hang out in the kids' aisle at the bookstore. Go and allow your senses to come alive with color, good humor, and beauty.

Treat your creativity like the prayer it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment