Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Spiritual Deadheading


"Happiness does not come from the things that we have but the abandoning of things that we cling to, by letting go of the attachments to things we don't want." ~Kevin Griffin

My best friend in high school, Nancy, had a green thumb. Her house, and later her college apartments, were resplendent with all manner of hanging and potted plants. I particularly admired her ability to grow coleus---especially the big, bold, eye-catching, serrated varieties. Back in the 1970s, my alcoholism was gathering momentum, and I was more preoccupied with where my next drink was coming from than watering and maintaining houseplants. Nancy, on the other hand, had a knack for nurturing green things, and under her care, they flourished. Routinely, Nancy pinched off the purple buds protruding from the centers of the leaves. "What are you doing?" I wanted to know, fascinated and puzzled at the same time. She patiently explained deadheading to me. By definition, to deadhead means to remove a plant's spent flowers. To do so channels the energy away from seed production into further flower production.

Decades later, deadheading has become a metaphor for an important tool in my spiritual arsenal. I have learned (the hard way) that holding on to anything out of fear blocks wisdom and spiritual growth.  To grow I must be willing to relinquish the fear of "what if." If I quit this job, will I find another? If I end this relationship, will I find another?  If I move to a new community, will I make new friends? Being fearless today, I don't lament dead flowers. I don't mourn the people, places, and/or things that have had their glory and weren't meant to last. Like the coleus and other greenery flourishing in the windows of my cottage today, I must be willing to discard the old and await the new. Experience has taught me that with faith and courage, I can channel my energy into spiritual production instead of atrophy. What/who are you clinging to today? What seeds can you channel into flowers?

No comments:

Post a Comment