Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Suck It Up


 "Suck it up and travel. You won't born here to work and  pay taxes. You were put here to be part of a vast organism to explore and create. Stop putting it off."  ~Jason Mraz

From May through mid November, I operate an Airbnb hosting business at my 800-square-foot cottage in Charlestown Rhode Island. During that time, I happily move myself and sweet Carla out to my one-room garage apartment/studio where I host a few dozen couples and solo travelers who make my home their home-away-from-home for three nights or more. The money that I make during those four months makes up the bulk of my annual income. Those monies, along with a monthly social security check and a draw from some long-held investments sustain me. I tuck away the Airbnb money in order to travel the remaining months of the year. 

At 67 years old, I live, literally, and work, to pay for, to support the jaunts that I gleefully get to take the rest of the year. From one-day workshops to abandoned mill, hospitals and homesteads, to longer stays such as Hazel Meredith‘s Barns and Back Roads 3-day workshop in Tennessee, these outings are the lifeblood of my creative life. I schedule at least one adventure a month, sometimes two, and these outings give me something to look forward to. 

My point in telling you all this is to hopefully encourage you, to spur you, to convince you to get out there, to behold the wonders of this world. I have taken two solo cross-country trips in my life, and both adventures changed me. I came back braver, stronger, more creative and at home in my own skin. and more in love with life itself.  If you’re waiting for more money, more time, a partner, retirement, I beg you to not wait. Set your course, your compass, and get out there. It doesn’t take much. Cut back if you have to. Give up cable. Shop smarter for your groceries. Eliminate unnecessary spending. If you want it as badly as I do, you won't miss these small concessions. 

Recently, my dear friend and fellow muse, Janice Pospisil, turned me on to this awesome virtual way to travel around the globe. While it’s a far cry from the real deal, it’s a start, and maybe, just maybe it’ll get your blood and juices flowing and thinking about sucking it up and traveling. Check it out!

https://www.heygo.com/home

No comments:

Post a Comment