Friday, August 13, 2021

Less is More


When I checked in at the ticket counter this morning for the 9am ferry to Monhegan Island, 12 miles off the coast of Maine, the woman who handed me my roundtrip tickets inquired about my luggage. I explained that I only had the backpack, and that most of the stuff in it was camera equipment and I wished to keep it with me for safekeeping. 

"Wow!" she exclaimed. "You're here for the whole weekend and that's your only bag? I'm impressed!"

"Yup," I beamed with pride. 

"I've seen overnighters come with steamer trunks," she laughed.

I thought long and hard about what and how to pack for these 2-1/2 days on a pedestrian-only island. I started by paring down the contents of my camera bag, choosing my lenses and accessories carefully. In my roller suitcase, I packed a pair of jeans, sandals, four tops, toiletries, my beloved laptop, journal and a novel. 

However, I grew concerned reading some of the literature describing the crossing and the island terrain. The word "hills" came up several times. Intuitively, I knew flip-flops weren't going to cut it, so I purchased an inexpensive pair of yellow Topsider sneakers at my local consignment shop. I had time and opportunity on Friday night to consider my options as I was staying in a quaint cottage about a mile from the parking area. Did I really want to drag my roller suitcase behind me from the parking lot to the dock and then from the dock to my Airbnb? 

I decided to splay out the contents of the roller bag on one of the double beds in the cabin, and in doing so, I opted to consolidate. Ever-present in my mind was the burning question: "How much do I really need this item?

So, in addition to my two camera bodies and 1/2-dozen interchangeable lenses, here's what I selected: my laptop, my hotspot, my charging cables, my journal, my comb, my toothbrush/paste, meds, one sleeveless top and a lightweight hoodie. I left behind the current book I've almost finished reading, shampoo, a pair of jeans, flip-flops and all the extra tops.

Was the pack on my back heavier? Well, yeah, because I added my laptop to the mix, but I'm grateful that my minimalism kicked in, allowing me to lighten my load on this very hilly island paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment