Friday, February 11, 2022


I've learned a lot about love over the years. I learned that my love of self has to come first, that in order to find love, I have to give love. I learned that my love can't save anyone. No matter how much I love someone, I can't want their wellness more than they do.

I fell in love over and over again last year. I took several long road trips, and each time I checked in to my Airbnb for the night, I fell in love. I fell in love with my hosts, their families; I fell in love with the people behind counters, with fellow travelers, with truckers hauling cargo; I fell in love with the hills, valleys, mountains, oceans, lakes, and ports of this great country.

And I fell even more deeply in love with myself, with my courage, my strength, my laugh, my heart, my mind, my God.

So, it matters little this year that I don't have one person in my life to love. Single-by-choice, I have hundreds of men and women all over the country to love, and they, blessedly, love me back. If you are in a relationship, love deeper. Dig in. Let go of your petty resentments. Something missing? Try providing it instead of waiting for it.

This Valentine's weekend, instead of sitting home, feeling sorry for yourself that a long-term relationship ended or a new one crashed and burned on take off, pick up some carnations, purchase a few greeting cards and go distribute them to residents at a long-term care facility. Be the love you hope to find.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment